[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:24:18 UTC 2014

On 23 January 2014 15:42, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> On 23 January 2014 15:12, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I thought about that as well. Besides the intro text, the info box would
> be
> > the main "attraction"; but if infoboxes were to fall back on wikidata
> > information, which they could technically already do, all we'd have to do
> > is add a blank infobox, and it should automatically fill up with the
> > wikidata information. In light of that, writing code to fill an infobox
> > with values form wikidata to paste into the article seems ... low-tech
> ;-)
>
> Indeed - but we have to work with what we have.
>
> Perhaps we could concentrate on one very narrow subject, and its
> single corresponding infobox, as a pilot?

I suggest that this discussion should be on the various projects that might
be affected, particularly as different projects have very different ideas
about whether the use of Wikidata for anything more than language links is
acceptable. Many projects do not permit bulk bot creation of content, and
this proposal is a close parallel.

Further, content that isn't editable on the project on which it is hosted
is probably not a very effective way to persuade people to turn it into an
actual page.

Trialing the process on some small projects that actively volunteer to
participate would be a first step.

Risker/Anne