[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:34:15 UTC 2014

Hoi,

We can provide information now(ish). We are discussing draft because it is
a likely avenue. It is however very much NOT intended for the English
Wikipedia. If anything it would be much better if we work this out on other
Wikipedias first.

The most benefit from Reasonator will be for the bottom 240 Wikipedias (in
page views or articles). They are most unlikely to provide the information
we take for granted. They do have first and foremost a quantity problem; a
quality problem does not exist when there is nothing to assess. If anything
Wikidata is growing fast. It supports more subjects than any Wikipedia. It
supports more subjects in any language than its Wikipedia. All the time
statements are added that make the Wikidata content more valuable.

Steven, Reasonator allows us to share information we have and do not serve
in any other way with our public. Reasonator is very much developed in an
iterative way. It is not developed by committee but it relies very much on
the feedback we get. We have reported on Reasonator and associated tools
for quite some time now. The bottom line is not that every thing is
perfect. Reasonator is not. It is however getting better all the time. We
are also ready to progress towards the functionality we are discussing.

Steven would you be interested in supporting us in such an adventure ...
remember, WMF aims to share in the sum of all knowledge ... It is one way
to grow both our public and our community, it will teach us much about how
to bring Wikidata content to a public and grow its community that is
already a top 10 WMF community in contributors.
Thanks,
      Gerard