[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 17:58:28 UTC 2014

On Jan 23, 2014 6:42 PM, "Gerard Meijssen" <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Having Reasonator generated content in a "draft" namespace is *NOT* a bad
> idea.
>
>    - I do not know enough about the draft namespace.. Is there a way to
>    discover that an article exists in Draft ??
>    - My personal target for this functionality is very much the smaller
>    projects. By using a "draft" environment I am afraid it becomes easily
too
>    complicated in these environments.
>    - "Red links", are they allowed to point to the draft namespace?
>    - How about disambiguation because, Wikidata is very likely to create
>    ambiguity ... then again, as there is an "auto describe" function, it
is
>    possible to add suffixes like "actor" "politician" etc..
>    - Magnus indicated that providing information to templates is well
>    possible. <grin> he calls it low tech </grin>
>       - So far we prefer to show a label in stead of  a "Qnumber".
>       - We would *REALLY* like to have a personal fall-back chain of
>       languages based on #babel information..
>       - There is no API to read #Babel yet
>       - Obviously this has implications for caching..
>       - HOWEVER as we share this content with Wikidata and all other
>       projects, it can aggregate in one cache.. do not know if that is
> good or bad
>
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Pointing redlinks to draft seems like a marvelous idea, and pre-populating
them with wikidata even better.

Having an in between "yellow" link for draft content including wikidata
content, and red link for nothing seems to me like an even better idea, but
dependent on how drafts will turn out in practice.

We could do amazing things with this.

http://www.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/en/institution/mitarbeiter/mietchen-daniel/

andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk