[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Ted Chien hsiangtai.chien at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 18:13:07 UTC 2014

Hi David,

We were selling video editing softwares at that time, and that's what I
remebered for the MPEG-4 royalties. But MPEG LA would do the license thing
case by case, maybe my information is not correct now.

I just found that MPEG LA has announced in 2010 that it will not charge
royalties from Internet video that is free to users from the lifetime of
the license, maybe WMF projects can fit the requirement? I think it needs
the legal team to do the investigation.

The MPEG LA press release for free Internet Video:
http://www.mpegla.com/Lists/MPEG%20LA%20News%20List/Attachments/74/n-10-08-26.pdf

Regards,
Ted Chien
-- Sent from my HTC New One