[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:18:39 UTC 2014

On 17 January 2014 17:12, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> property yoke. Commons' great benefit to the world is no-questions-asked
> reusability, and I don't want to see it compromised in this fashion,
> license freebie or otherwise. I'm with User:David
> Gerard<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:David_Gerard>
>  on this. On the whole it is of far less importance to me as there is no

Note that my favoured option is actually ingestion of MP4 (and of
anything, really), but not serving it. Ideally you should be able to
get a video on your phone of that UFO that just flew by and upload it
in your "Wikimedia Commons uploader" app without having to faff around
with dodgy shareware wrappers around FFmpeg on a computer first, or
attempt to run a slow and battery-hungry conversion on your phone
itself.

- d.