[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 16:12:30 UTC 2014

BTW, Luis from WMF has put a very lengthy and detailed analysis of the
legal issues that does help quite a bit, at the end of the RFC:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/MP4_Video#Commercial_use_and_h264

TLDR:

"…there may be good moral, ethical, and strategic reasons to oppose or
support this plan. However, in my opinion, non-commercial restrictions on
the use of particular h264-based devices, or their interactions with
Creative Commons, are not good reasons to oppose it" -LVilla
(WMF)<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LVilla_(WMF)>
(talk <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:LVilla_(WMF)>) 05:06,
17 January 2014 (UTC)