[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 16 22:43:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is important to note that WMF itself is not in any way neutral on
> this issue: adding MPEG4 is explicitly listed as a 2014 goal for the
> Multimedia team.
>
> That is, it has already been determined that this is *going to happen*.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multimedia/2013-14_Goals#Activities
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=File:Multimedia_Quarterly_Review_12-03-2013.pdf&page=61

The goals page says "Establish an audio/video codec strategy about
licensing codecs like MPEG4"  This RFC is part of establishing that
strategy.  If the answer from this RFC is "no MP4", then whatever
strategy we have will work within that constraint.

The slide deck was published from a meeting where I can assure you
Fabrice said something to the effect of "of course, this all depends
on the result of the RFC"  :-)

I can definitively state that this question of supporting MP4 has not
been determined.  We will not support MP4 without community consensus.

Rob