[Wikimedia-l] Extensive feedback from WMDE to the FDC process

Pavel Richter pavel.richter at wikimedia.de
Thu Jan 16 17:41:15 UTC 2014

Dear Anasuya,

thank you for your mail and the very good points you are raising in it. I
would like to address one point in particular, my idea of reworking the FDC
process at the Wikimedia Conference in April.

My intention is not to hijack the timetable of the FDC, or to circumvent
established channels. I simply believe that, if you face a rather
complicated process such as the FDC, it can be very helpful to rethink the
whole idea from scratch. So instead of asking: "How can we improve the
current process", we would start from: "What goals do we want to reach,
which strengths of our movement can we use for this, and which values and
principles should guide us."
At the end, we would not have a "new or improved FDC process", but a way
forward to reach our goals. This way may or may not look like the current
FDC, but in any case it can be used as an inspiration when it comes to
review (and maybe change) the FDC process.

So please do not see our suggestion to discuss this at the Wikimedia
Conference as a counter-proposal to the original timeframe. As ED and as a
member of the FDC AG, I fully support the process that you outlined in your
mail, and I am very confident that it will lead to fruitfull discussions
and  ultimatly to a good recommendation.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Pavel Richter
Vorstand

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.