[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 16:08:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So claiming that it's "assuming bad faith" to notice this and say so
> > comes across as disingenuous.
> >

> That is exactly my intent. I don't mean to imply WMF is acting with malice
> here. However, in this instance, a technological change would cause a
> significant shift in the principles and ethics behind what we do. So rather
> than focusing on technology, the question should be whether free content
> should be removed as a fundamental principle of our movement. Functionally,
> that is what this proposal, if implemented, would do.
>
> Otherwise, exactly as David explained, corrosion to that principle slips in
> by the back door, whether by accident or design. If we want to ask that
> question, ask it directly.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I hereby withdraw my issue about motives.

It is indeed a good question. It just stinks it's happening in so many
places :)

There is a video RFC office hours today (Thursday) at 1900 UTC! Please do
join.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours

Unfortunately I have another engagement or I'd absolutely be there.

-Andrew