[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Thu Jan 16 13:02:52 UTC 2014

Le 16/01/2014 12:54, Manuel Schneider a écrit :
> The reason this idea was dismissed is the core of this RfC: patent
> trolling etc. on H.264 codecs etc. which we would need to allow as raw
> material.

We have now a pretty good support of TIFF for pictures and FLAC for
audio streams; but there is still no solution to store lossless (raw)
video material. This problem is a real one like have underlined Manuel.

The following Wikipedia article proposes a list of lossless video codecs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs#Lossless_compression_2

Dirac, a free codec developed by the BBC, seems to be a good solution.
Do people have some experiences with Dirac?

Regards
Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more