[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 04:05:32 UTC 2014

Or better yet... elaborate on your reasons on the RfC page. https://commons.
wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/MP4_Video
I think it is commendable that the WMF legal team is proposing this
discussion in such an open and honest way. It is a discussion that has been
bubbling away for a long time and it is perfectly sensible that we should
address it formally every now and then. Even if we come up with the same
answer it is important to revisit major policy decisions periodically in
case the situation has changed.

I think we can all acknowledge that this particular issue is a good example
of where two of our deeply held principles are somewhat conflicting. On the
one hand we hold firm to the idea that our purpose is to share information
as widely as possible, and on the other we also are very committed to the
principles of open source. These are both real, valid, principles and it is
important that we look at the ways that we can balance the competing
choices that these principles force upon us without pre-judging the
outcome.

- Liam / Wittylama