[Wikimedia-l] A Multimedia Vision for 2016

Fabrice Florin fflorin at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 14 19:07:25 UTC 2014

Dear Gerard,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the proposed Multimedia Vision for Wikimedia sites by 2016. (1)

I am glad that our first user stories resonate with you. They intentionally focus on ways that our community may interact through multimedia -- and we view these types of productive collaborations between different user groups as a key objective for our work.

We really appreciate your thoughtful blog post about this vision (2) and fully agree with you that more user stories will be needed to illustrate the scope of possible interactions between different communities around the world -- from schools to professional or personal sites around the world. We aim to identify more user stories like these to inform our next steps.

We are actively working with Lydia, Daniel and the Wikidata team to implement structured data on Commons and integrate it with Wikidata later this year, in collaboration with our community. We expect this work will improve a range of multimedia workflows as a result, from curation to search and beyond. We will definitely address the points you raise.

I would also like to thank all the community members who have joined our discussion about this multimedia vision (3). We are grateful for your feedback, and very glad to see a partnership develop between our community and the foundation around these goals, so we may better serve our users together.

If you haven’t commented yet, please share your feedback here, after viewing the video:

http://ur1.ca/gdljy

You are all invited to join our office hours IRC chat about multimedia this Thursday, January 16 at 19:00 UTC (4) — we look forward to discussing this vision and other media projects with you then. More on this later.

Thanks again for everyone’s wonderful work in helping share free knowledge through multimedia.

All the best,

Fabrice

(1) Multimedia Vision 2016:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Multimedia_Features/Vision_2016

(2) Blog Post by Gerard:
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2014/01/wikimedia-multimedia-featuresvision-2016.html

(3) Discuss the Multimedia Vision:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Multimedia_Features/Vision_2016

(4) Multimedia Office Hours chat on IRC: Thursday at 19:00 UTC
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager, Multimedia
Wikimedia Foundation