[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 13 05:19:22 UTC 2014

On 13/01/14 15:35, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> What you're discussing is an unnamed user account that's implicitly
> created and lasts as long as the cookie does.  Those are going to pile
> up *really* fast, especially from browsers that do not keep cookies for
> any reason.

Not as fast as revisions, and we seem to cope with those. On the
English Wikipedia, there were only ~27k anonymous edits per day over
the last month, so it would take 10 years to add 100M rows at that
rate, and the revision table has ~550M rows and we still haven't
bothered to shard it.

-- Tim Starling