[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Sun Jan 12 12:00:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Craig Franklin
<cfranklin at halonetwork.net>wrote:

> I was thinking more along the lines of a centralised disclosure list where
> people can say "My name is X, my user account is Y, and I am doing paid
> editing on article Z".  Such a thing would of course invite a lot more
> scrutiny on the articles in question, which would mean that they're less
> likely to devolve into hagiography.  From what I can see this is already
> working quite well and without controversy at places like dewp.  We already
> have rules (on enwp at least) about promotional language, spam,
> sockpuppeting, and the like; I don't see any compelling reason we need
> another separate bunch of rules to deal with these situations in the
> special case where someone is being paid to edit.

this is exactly along the lines I've  been thinking along, too. In the
Daily Dot I was suggesting special tagging -  a special flag for paid
editors/accounts would allow for a much better social control of such edits
(and those, who try to dodge the label would be treated like
vandals/sockpuppeteers). This would address the language issues as well.

dariusz "pundit"