[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 23:40:00 UTC 2014

On 10 January 2014 21:06, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quite. Museums' self-interest in employing a Wikipedian-in-Residence is
> often quite evident from the way the position is described ("raise our
> profile" etc.)
>
> And what about, say, the Henry Ford Museum? Or the Volkswagen museum? Is
> that not knowledge? Is it "evil", because it's part of a business?

The term you are looking for is propaganda. Or PR if you like being invited
to a certain class of party.

> Which reminds me – I often think it odd that Wikimedia will fund a
> Wikipedian-in-Residence for some regional tourist attraction (think the
> Welsh Coastal Path project, or the York Museum),

You've never actually been to the York Museum have you? Its a typical
municipal museum. IE a place to dump all the historical stuff that you can
just leave sitting around in the street. Its collection is better than some
but only due to its age.

The tourist targeting museum in the area would be the Jorvik Viking Centre.

I'd assume the largest tourist draw is actually the National Railway Museum
(certainly it has the best class of cameras) but that is a national
collection rather than regional.

--
geni