[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Thu Jan 9 19:28:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but the question is how to enable such a system. If the rules for
>  paid editors were to be very strict - many paid editors would have
> still decide to do it in secrecy anyway,

oh, but there will ALWAYS be those lurking in the shadows. However,
currently we frown upon edits which are according to the rules just as much
as upon those which cross the line. I think it would be good to make and
explicit, ostensive bright line, like Jimbo suggested - I just think the
line should be elsewhere.

Paid editing, when done according to the rules, and when subjected to
transparent community control, is definitely better than a system in which
paid editors are, in fact, motivated NOT TO reveal their affiliations.

best,

dariusz "pundit"