[Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Jonathan Deamer jonathandeamer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 12:05:57 UTC 2014

Interesting! As a member of the Green Party this is something I've read a little bit about, but it's mostly spoken of in the context of its effects on the welfare state.

The idea that it might increase the level of cognitive surplus available to open source and collaborative projects, and so these projects might have a political interest in encouraging a basic income, is quite novel to me.

FWIW, I think this Financial Times piece by economist Tim Harford offers a nicely readable summary of some of the thinking on the subject

http://timharford.com/2013/11/a-universal-income-is-not-such-a-silly-idea/