[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2014 scholarship now accepting application

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 19:57:20 UTC 2014

On 8 January 2014 12:50, Katie Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:

> On 08/01/2014 17:39, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2014 12:37 PM, Katie Chan wrote:
>>
>>> Only a single type of scholarship will be available from the Wikimedia
>>> Foundation for Wikimania 2014.
>>>
>> I rather liked the idea of partial scholarships in past years since it
>> would allow more people to attend on the same budget when practical.
>>
>> Can I ask why this was decided against this year?
>>

> Per the FAQ[1]:
>
> "The low acceptance rate of partial scholarships and overhead in
> reimbursing for partial scholarships for Wikimania 2013 <
> https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_page> made it apparent that
> the funds would be better spent in offering more full scholarships."
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> KTC
>

> [1]: https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ

I too am sorry to see that partial scholarships will not be entertained
this year by the Wikimania Committee.  They were a reasonable interim point
for people who wanted to attend but didn't have the budget to handle both
expensive flights and expensive rooms, but at the same time were unwilling
or unable to handle staying in shared dormitory accommodation that is the
expected standard for full scholarships.

There should be only a marginally higher overhead in managing partial
scholarships; both types required the same amount of effort to send
reimbursement for airfare.

Risker/Anne