[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Russavia russavia.wikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 23:42:41 UTC 2014

Odder has published a fantastic blog piece at
http://twkozlowski.net/paid-editing-thrives-in-the-heart-of-wikipedia/ in
which it is revealed that a WMF employee is engaged in undeclared paid
editing on English Wikipedia, and charging what it appears to be $300 per
article.

I have cc'ed both Sue and Jimmy in on this email, but also sending to this
list as I know they, and other WMF employees, do use this list, and I think
it would be pertinent that they respond publicly to the issues raised here.
It is ever so more important given that the undeclared paid editing
occurred AFTER the whole Wiki-PR debacle (Sue's press release, WMF's
cease-and-desist, and of course the resultant media attention).

What do Jimmy and Sue believe should occur given that such editing violates
Wikipedia policies and also Jimmy's so-called Bright Line Rule. In relation
to Jimmy's line, many are still clueless as to what exactly this Bright
Line is (it's not very bright), and how it should be applied in practice,
so Jimmy, if you are out there, your comment is requested on that.

Cheers,

Russavia