[Wikimedia-l] New Google interface to Wikipedia

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Sun Sep 29 10:02:55 UTC 2013

The number of accesses to Wikipedia has jumped 25-40% since July [1] and
I suspect it is related to the new interface Google has created where an
extract from Wikipedia resides on the right  part of search page.

It is very neat feature and I have noticed you get it from the language
version you are used to, meaning it is not only using enwp as Facebook
does. It also uses some intelligent way of doing the extract as it is
not 100% as the wikiepdiatext and also find illustrations from other
sources than Wikipedia/commons.

Does anyone know the background and technique/algorithms behind, or have
they developed this all by themselves?

Anders
[1) http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthlyCombined.htm