[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia UK's wiki migration notice

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 20:16:47 UTC 2013

Maarten Dammers, 28/09/2013 18:40:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just got this email from Wikimedia UK. Are more chapters considering
> this? I see some pro's and con's on
> https://wiki.wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/IT_Development/This_wiki , but it
> doesn't list the most important con: Waste of movement effort and money
> on for example debugging a mangled database (see
> https://wiki.wikimedia.org.uk/w/index.php?title=GLAM-WIKI_2013%2FAttendees&diff=23460&oldid=23443
> and than click contribs).

Actually, testing our import tools looks like a pro to me! I hope to see
many bugs filed and docs added. :)
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_dumps/Tools_for_importing

On a more serious note, it's hard to tell from the outside whether it's
worth hosting their own wiki. WMIT, for instance, can't do without
because we need a single wiki for members and private board stuff for
transparency and collaboration reasons (compare the 20+ private wikis
WMF uses); even having it on the generous WMFR servers was quite a
bureaucratic pain many years ago.

Nemo