[Wikimedia-l] Community consultation on trademark practices and Community logo

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 09:28:32 UTC 2013

In <s>details</s> footnotes lies Satan, as always ;-):

Geoff Brigham, 27/09/2013 00:44:
> [6] Board approval is probably necessary since we registered the logo in
> light of a Board resolution. After the Community logo was adopted as the
> official Meta logo, it was added to the list of Wikimedia logos in
> September 2008. In April 2009, the Board of Trustees adopted a
> resolution<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Trademark_statement>directing
> WMF staff “to register and protect the Wikimedia marks.” The Board can
> provide clarification whether we should or should not register the
> Community mark based on the results of the community consultation.

Yes, the Board can and should clarify that, however you don't *need* a
board resolution to abandon this (unsolicited) trademark registration.
Otherwise, you would have two severe paradoxes.
1) I don't know what's the WMF "rank of sources of law", but I'm rather
sure that an edit to some wiki page is not superior to a resolution and
can't alter its content, so it can't be integral part of a resolution
which doesn't explicitly quote it.
2) If you need a resolution for /not/ registering the community logo, do
you have a resolution for
2a) NOT recovering hundreds of well known squatted domains (sometimes
highly disruptive),
2b) NOT registering Wikimedia Commons, Wikiquote, Wikibooks,
Wikispecies, ...?

Nemo