[Wikimedia-l] Planned school curriculum by MPAA

??? wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 20:19:29 UTC 2013

On 25/09/2013 19:33, Andrew Lih wrote:
> It has something to do with countering falsehoods and educating folks about
> the full range of content rights.
>
> Their 2nd grade materials state:
> "Property comes in many forms: when we buy a book, we own that book. It’s
> our property, but we don’t own the right to reproduce that book and then
> sell it or give it away. That’s stealing."
>
> Um, no. A Creative Commons SA book, a public domain work or expired
> copyright work can indeed be reproduced. And it's not stealing.

The chances of them coming across either is vanishingly small when
compared to the bulk of content they'll come into contact with. I guess
that 2nd grade is 7 yo, when I was 15 I was taught that electrons
circled about a central nucleus in neat little orbits, when I was 16 I
was taught that the reality was a lot different.

> "We are careful to acknowledge the work of authors and creators and respect
> their ownership. We recognize that it’s hard work to produce something, and
> we want to get paid for our work."
>
> No, not all people want to get paid for their work.

Most do. Most of the things we hold to be culturally significant are
indeed paid. In fact wikipedia wouldn't exist if it was for the content
in books, magazines, and articles that people had been paid to produce.