[Wikimedia-l] Planned school curriculum by MPAA

Jens Best jens.best at wikimedia.de
Wed Sep 25 20:06:09 UTC 2013

This is obviously a propaganda campaign focused on children which isn't
reflecting on the variety of ownership and sharing-enabling licences. It is
against the idea of free knowledge. Therefore it is a
political/sociocultural problem which is against the spreading of the
knowledge about free knowledge and its basic principles.

But as this is an US-American problem it should be handled by an
US-American Wikimedia chapter...as there is imo no US-American chapter WMF
could act as a representative for Wikimedia-related problems in an
US-country education system.

best regards

Jens Best

2013/9/25 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

> On 25 September 2013 20:23, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > From the message on the web site, the WMF is a "nonprofit charitable
> > organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and
> > distribution of free, multilingual, educational content, and to providing
> > the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of
> charge."
> > Inside a California public school, the WMF should indeed have an interest
> > in making sure that students using Wikipedia don't think to themselves
> that
> > using such material is "stealing" and that someone is expecting to be
> > "paid."
>

> Pretty much. It's in our direct interest that this not go ahead as planned.
>

> - d.

Jens Best
Präsidium
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
web: http://www.wikimedia.de
mail: jens.best <http://goog_17221883>@wikimedia.de

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.