[Wikimedia-l] Planned school curriculum by MPAA

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:23:18 UTC 2013

The California school system is the back yard (actually front yard) of both
Wikimedia Foundation and Creative Commons.

>From the message on the web site, the WMF is a "nonprofit charitable
organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and
distribution of free, multilingual, educational content, and to providing
the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge."

Inside a California public school, the WMF should indeed have an interest
in making sure that students using Wikipedia don't think to themselves that
using such material is "stealing" and that someone is expecting to be
"paid."