[Wikimedia-l] Stack Exchange vs. Wikimedia

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Sep 23 16:37:55 UTC 2013

I participate in StackOverflow - asking, answering, voting, editing
existing answers. Voting is probably good for a site that is structured
around short answers and short questions.

I'm not sure that it would work for Wikipedia, where articles are expected
to grow to multiple pages over a long time with contributions of different
people.

Also, StackOverflow answers often become the de-facto main source for
answers to many questions, because many people ask about things that are
not documented well. We are in an age when a good programming language
manual is not really good enough if people need to spend a minute searching
through its index, so people prefer to google or to ask on StackOverflow.
And it's OK for software development, because if a good answer solves a
focused problem, it is later useful to many people. It is not good enough
for Wikipedia, which should not be the final source of information, even if
in practice it actually is. So you cannot measure the quality of an article
or the reliability of a person with votes.

As for encouraging people to come back to the site and to contribute more -
yes, it works nicely on StackOverflow and on similar sites like PerlMonks,
Quora, Slashdot, and others, but for Wikipedia it would be too artificial
for the above reasons. I am thrilled about the new Notifications (a.k.a.
Echo) in this regard - the indicator at the top, which shows mentions and
thanks is very encouraging to me as a contributor (and this has nothing to
do with my capacity as a WMF contractor), and I hear many similar positive
comments from other editors.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬