[Wikimedia-l] Suggestion to add sources to millions of (tagged) unsourced articles

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Sep 17 12:00:45 UTC 2013

I am certainly one of the guilty parties. When I first started editing
there were huge subjects on which there was nothing. I remember creating
[[Tucson, Arizona]]. There was a temptation to create and contribute to
articles on subjects you knew about due to experience or education. As
laypersons, rather than academics engaged in teaching daily about the
subject, sources were seldom at hand.

Today, I work almost exclusively from sources. I find a source then add
to an article. Although, I still sometimes cheat a bit; I do know from
personal experience which way is up, and might rotate an image that is
upside down...

Finding sources for information that you learned in school decades ago is
rather difficult, even impossible, and certainly tedious. As a volunteer
organization such a demand is not tenable.

I recently made an edit to [[Stream capture]] using a geography text I
bought for $3.95. It is an older edition of a college text that sells for
over $100. I didn't look down to check the reference section, but noticed
that someone had made an edit after I did, adding a reference section. I
had added the first source to this article, an article created, by me,
August 2, 2003:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stream_capture&oldid=3082210

That original information is not wrong, and I did get it from a source,
but at that time we had no regular mechanism for citing sources. Today I
don't remember the original source, but I do plan to use my geography
textbook to add a few more references should I have the time, which I
don't. I have no time, or life...just endless half-finished projects and
ideas.

Fred