[Wikimedia-l] WMF's New Global South Strategy

Heather Ford heather.ford at oii.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 04:36:17 UTC 2013

I'm sorry I'm coming so late to this but I've been thinking about this a
lot and there are two questions that I still have that have been bugging me
that perhaps you might clarify, Asaf.

The first is why South Africa isn't included in the strategy. The more I
think about it, the more I think that it seems like a glaring omission and
so I keep thinking that there is something I'm not considering. If the
Foundation used 'active editing community' as a benchmark, South Africa has
a really strong editing community in Afrikaans Wikipedia as well as a
strong chapter that is interested in extending this success to other local
languages and to broader editing of Wikipedia within the region - a region
that is very poorly represented on WP and would benefit from more
assistance and advice from the Foundation.

The second is your point about research not being at your disposal at the
Foundation. I'm curious about why research isn't part of your strategy. It
seems to me that this would be the perfect opportunity to engage in more
research to understand what kinds of challenges people are facing, what
conditions make a local project successful, and also, about what kinds of
projects are useful in their symbolic effects rather than focusing only on
scale. I know that research capacity at the Foundation might be strained by
there are always opportunities for collaboration with the research
community, as well as incentives for researchers to engage in research that
the Foundation really needs.

Hoping you can shed some light on this!

Thanks!

Best,