[Wikimedia-l] : WMF resolution on neutral point of view

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 02:33:51 UTC 2013

On 16 September 2013 21:45, とある白い猫 <to.aru.shiroi.neko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I realize Resolution:Biographies of living people[1] implies this but I
> fail to see any resolution that establishes neutral point of view as one of
> our non-negotiable values. I think there is merit in having an over-arching
> resolution on a Neutral Point of View policy.
>
> I also feel Resolution:Biographies of living people suffers from the
> absence of such a definition of what exactly "neutral point of view"
> supposed to mean.
>
> [1]:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Biographies_of_living_people

I am not certain that neutral point of view applies to all Wikimedia
projects.  Wikiversity programs may deliberately examine one aspect of a
subject while ignoring others, for example. It is difficult to apply the
concept of  "neutrality" to images and other media, some of which is
explicitly non-neutral (see the Jyllands-Posten Muhammed images).  I am not
sure that "neutral point of view" applies to Wiktionary at all.

Risker/Anne