[Wikimedia-l] [WLM] DataViz of all the monnuments in the world

Bastien Guerry bzg at altern.org
Thu Sep 12 15:22:36 UTC 2013

Hi Ilya,

Ilya Korniyko <intracer at gmail.com> writes:

> Where (on the client, on the server) and how (replicated database,
> Mediawiki API calls) does it process data? Because it loads the
> monuments quite slow.

I updated the README with some info:
  https://github.com/bzg/wlmmap

The bottleneck is that loading 50000+ monuments would take very
long... querying the database, transmitting the data to the .js then
parsing these data to display clusters on the map... way too long.
At least I don't know how to do this.

There is one chance: if someone knows ClojureScript and leaflet
markercluster module, we may try to use addLayers instead of addLayer,
but I did not manage to get this to work.

In any case: the display-monuments-from-a-country is more about
serendipidipitidity (I never know how to write this word...) while
displaying monuments "HERE" is about getting quick and accurate
information about some place.

> As this is early version (Bump to 0.0.5.) I hope it will improve
> though.

Hope so!

> It is very good that it is opensource. Not very widespread, but
> interesting implementation language (Clojure), but it will be
> intreresting for me to grok it, as I happen to use, not very
> widespread, but interesting language too - Scala.

Hey hey, I guess the vast majority of us is part of some minority :)

Thanks for the feedback,

--
 Bastien