[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Wikimedia labs-tools

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Sep 12 00:45:38 UTC 2013

I'm not sure this needed to be broadcast to three lists...

John wrote:
>The toolserver was a fairly stable environment. I checked my primary host
>I connect to and it has been up for 4 months with continuous operations.

I can only assume "fairly" was a typo for "rarely." :-)  I love the German
Toolserver and would love to see many more Toolservers, but the myth that
German Toolserver I was or is stable is quickly debunked by a visit to
<http://stable.toolserver.org>. It suffered frequent outages and database
corruption, high replication lag, and unstable and unsupported services.

>My question is why has the wmf decided to degrade the environment where
>tool developers design and host tools (quite a few of them are long term
>stable projects)? and what can we do to remedy this?

I'll echo what Andre said. There seems to be one issue mentioned in your
e-mail (host connectivity something or other), but if you're having many
issues with Wikimedia Labs, please file bugs: <https://bugs.wikimedia.org>.
In addition to providing you with something substantive to demonstrate
your claim that Labs isn't working well, filed bugs in Bugzilla will also
allow people running Labs the opportunity to perhaps fix these issues.

MZMcBride