[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog moving to WordPress.com

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 5 22:50:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I was going to socialize some of the transitions for the Wikimedia blog in
the next few weeks on the Wikimedia blog
space<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog>on Meta and on
the blog itself with a blog post, but this conversation has
sped up the discussion. I plan to have something on Meta by the beginning
of next week and hope that we can continue the discussion there when the
content is posted.

As a general concept, we’re redesigning the blog to be less focused on the
Wikimedia Foundation and more on the Wikimedia movement. For the past year,
we have been sharing more narratives from the movement, making this
important communications tool more about movement partners and not
exclusively about the Wikimedia Foundation. We believe the public has
little understanding of the people behind the projects and we want to share
their stories (i.e. why the contribute, why they edit, why they develop).
We still need the tool to communicate important updates from the WMF, but
that can be accomplished in a larger ecosystem with more diversity of
voices. We’ve had a significant increase in publication from authors who
don’t work for the WMF, as well as increased multi-lingual posts, and we
will continue to increase the amount and diversity of participation.

Specifically, let me address a couple of points raised in this thread.

   -

   We are redesigning the blog. For those at Wikimania who saw my talk, we
   shared the working site for the new Wikimedia blog and explained the basics
   of our thinking. Here is the link for the site under construction. Please
   understand this is still under construction and there will be some changes,
   but this is the basic design of the new Wikimedia blog. It’s also populated
   with data from a db dump that is now 2 months old, so you will see
   significant content difference from the current Wikimedia blog. The draft
   version of the blog is hosted on an outside platform, WP Engine, but this
   is not necessarily the hosting company we may use in future:
   http://wikimedia.wpengine.com/
   -

   We’re exploring the possibility of 3rd-party hosting of the blog. We had
   extensive discussions with members of the WMF Operations and Engineering
   teams about whether to continue to host the blog on our servers or move to
   a 3rd-party host. Ultimately we determined that 3rd party hosts made sense
   for the blog for a number of important reasons. I would refer you to the
   email in this
thread<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/387838#387838>from
Leslie Carr in our Ops team, but essentially they feel that a move to
   a 3rd party host would address important security and support concerns, and
   would therefore be preferable to continuing to host the blog ourselves.
   -

   A 3rd-party host will give us redundancy and strong backups. The blog
   has become the Foundation’s primary public communications tool (alongside,
   naturally, the host of wikis we use to converse with the community). We
   want to be sure this platform is hosted on a 3rd-party site in case we
   encounter a significant outage or cluster-wide downtime. Obviously we can’t
   rely on the projects to get that information out if the cluster is down,
   and although we will continue to use identi.ca, twitter, and facebook,
   we’d like to have a stable place to point traffic.
   -

   The blog needs to be able to handle a lot of traffic, quickly. We know
   that Wikimedia’s servers are up to this kind of task, but we’re experts at
   hosting wikis - not necessarily experts at hosting blogs. Specifically
   blogs that may need to handle very large volumes of traffic, spam, and
   comments in a short period of time. We had one such situation back in 2012
   during the Wikipedia blackout. We sent tens of millions of readers to the
   Wikimedia blog and dealt with around 18K comments in a matter of hours. We
   could handle it, but we’d like to have capacity to handle that in an
   emergency situation. Not all blog hosting companies can do this, but a few
   that we’re looking at are expressly built to handle immediate and massive
   increases in traffic, and they’ve got amazing back up services.
   -

   We have not yet selected a 3rd-party host. We have screened a couple of
   3rd-party hosts. While Wordpress.com is one of our top choices (not the
   standard consumer version, rather their ‘managed’ or white glove hosting
   services for high volume customers), we have not yet selected them. Right
   now the WMF legal team is in discussions with Wordpress.com and others. We
   appreciate that if we host on a 3rd party site, we need to navigate the
   important issue of ensuring our privacies policies are compatible.
   -

   The new blog is responsive and much better on multiple devices. With the
   2012 Wordpress theme, we can easily adapt our blog to multiple screen
   widths. Please try expanding and narrowing your browser widths to see the
   responsive design, or load the new blog on a mobile or tablet.
   -

   We feel Wordpress is still the best tool for blog publishing. While
   wikis are functional for many things, we feel Wordpress is better for
   blogging/publishing. When we started the blog redesign, we briefly
   discussed other platforms, but we don’t believe there is a superior tool
   for the blog. Because we’ve had a Wordpress install since 2008 and it has
   worked well for us since then, we decided not to change. We also needed to
   be sure that however we proceeded, we could also move away if we need to,
   and easily and quickly resume hosting of the blog or move it somewhere else.
   -

   When we move hosting to a 3rd-party site, users will need to agree to
   the new privacy policy that we work out for the blog. During the
   transition when we update the database and move the blog from our cluster
   to a 3rd-party site, current blog users will need to create new accounts on
   the new blog and agree to the new privacy policy.

More to come next week, but hopefully this addresses some of the concerns
raised here. We’re very interested in your feedback and hope that we can
capture all the comments and critique on the Meta page when it is up.

thanks,
Matthew