[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

Brion Vibber bvibber at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 4 14:46:27 UTC 2013

Tim sets out some excellent points; in particular it's a good reminder that
there is a continuum of options.

I've tended to advocate on the protest side of things, but I would like to
posit another option: we don't have to operate *everything* under the
auspices of Wikimedia Foundation, Inc (a Florida not-for-profit
corporation).

Our organizational goal is not "make Wikipedia.org a popular web site in
all countries", it's to make knowledge available to everyone in their own
language.

I would love to see Wikipedia content made available in China on Chinese
infrastructure operated by a Chinese organization, with total ability to
determine their own security and censorship policies.

"But that's what Baidu did and we hate them!" you say?

We could work *with* such an organization to coordinate, share content,
etc, without compromising basic web security for our sites or giving up our
liberal content policies on Wikipedia "proper".

I know this runs counter to our group tendency to centralization but we
should remember that Open Content is *meant* to be distributed and
redistributable. Centralization is often convenient but shouldn't be
mandatory.

-- brion