[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 18:50:23 UTC 2013

The thing is, it's kind of a crapshoot anyways.  You might see something that you think might be classified and report it; but, unless you actually have the corresponding clearance yourself, you have no way of knowing for certain whether the material is in fact classified in the first place.  Conversely, anyone who does have that information is unlikely to confirm it one way or the other, for obvious reasons.

To make things even more convoluted, reporting certain kinds of material to the WMF could itself potentially be considered illegal in some circumstances, since not everyone at the WMF is considered a "US person" for ITAR purposes.

Kirill