[Wikimedia-l] The largest photography competition

Romaine Wiki romaine_wiki at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 14:50:17 UTC 2013

This month it is the 4th year that volunteers from Wikipedia and Wikimedia organize Wiki Loves Monuments, an international photo contest focused on monuments, the cultural heritage the world has. In 2010 it was organized for the first time in the Netherlands only. That was big success and was in 2011 expanded to 18 countries in Europe. In 2012 it went worldwide with 35 countries around the globe. In 2012 the Guinness World Records recognized the 2011 as the "Largest photography competition" in the world. Last week we received the message that they recognize the 2012 as the largest now, but has to be updated on their website, see: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-6000/largest-photography-competition/

The day before yesterday on 1 September the 2013 edition started with more than 50 countries. On the first day already more than 14.000 new images of monuments have been uploaded. All these images will enrich the lists of monuments on Wikipedias and the articles about specific monuments, so that our cultural heritage becomes visible to the public.

To inform visitors of Wikipedia and Commons that Wiki Loves Monuments is going on and everyone can participate, we have set up a notice on top of every Wikipedia or Commons page if the visitor lives in a country where the photo contest is organized. If the Wikivoyage community wishes, it is also possible that this notice is shown above Wikivoyage pages to inform visitors and users of Wikivoyage that they can participate.

Each participating country has a national team that organizes the competition, with a jury, prizes, lists of monuments, website or landing page. The winners of each country (the ten best pictures) will also participate in the international contest and can there win prizes as well.

* Website of the international contest: http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/
* Overview of all participating countries with uploadlink: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_upload
* Project page(s) on Comons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013
* Images uploaded as part of Wiki Loves Monuments are here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013
* Article about Wiki Loves Monuments on the English Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments

Something to be proud of, that we all together are working on making the cultural heritage of the world visible and that so many people participate with so many pictures.

Romaine