[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 05:58:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> But as far as I know, the U.S. government has never blocked the general
> public from accessing a Wikipedia article, nor have they sent a takedown
> that was based on ideology/"social harmony"/etc.

Instead they use "terrorism" (or really anything they come up with)
poilerplate to monitor their and foreign citizens, illegally collect
personal data about them and monetize it or use to pressure or
threaten selected individuals, companies or agencies. They,
additionally, use various cease&desist processes (which is basically
the same as blocking but they let you do the work instead of them).
And it's just the same way based on ideology and social harminy as of
China, apart from that it's for a slightly different agenda.

China does censorship to prevent unwanted content, USA does
surveillance and pressure to prevent unwanted content. Not much of a
difference.