[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

Denny Vrandečić denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de
Mon Sep 2 10:55:40 UTC 2013

There are three groups to consider, readers, contributors without and
contributors with specific rights that allow them access to data which is
not publicly visible anyway:

For readers: Readers will not have reduced access to knowledge. I think
that runs against our mission. There are a number of possible reactions:
1) nothing, and the readers cannot access this knowledge anymore
2) readers move to alternatives like Baidu Knows
3) an HTTP proxy will be set up by a third party, giving access to readers
without the supervision and guidance of the WMF, and potentially with
technical and even more serious security issues
What is the advantage for readers to not have access to the HTTP version?

For contributors without specific rights:
 1) what they do is publicly visible anyway, and logged. What is in danger
is the connection between them and their login. Would HTTPS help with that?
2) most of these contributors do not touch sensitive issues. Why block them
out? For what advantage?

For contributors with specific rights:
1) HTTPS only. Putting the contributors themselves in risk is bad enough,
but compromising further contributors is not acceptable.
2) How many would be affected by this anyway? I would be pleasantly
surprised if it is more than a handful.

I think this is an important and hard discussion, and I hope for wide
participation. Thank you Erik, for starting it.

Cheers,
Denny