[Wikimedia-l] Overloaded with CentralNotices (Tilman Bayer)

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 31 12:43:54 UTC 2013

Hi Jane,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Jane Darnell <jane023 at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Sue, I understand the idea behind doing this and applaud the idea -
> it would be so much easier to make strategy decisions in WMNL if we
> had more input from more involved people in the Dutch Wikipedia
> community. I get that it is really a conflict of interest for WMNL
> insiders to be the only ones to comment and approve the funds request
> made by WMNL insiders. The problem with this central sitenotice, as
> Romaine pointed out, is that it is in English and points to the WMNL
> fund request in English.

Actually, the banners are available in Dutch, and Romaine had said so
as well. If you see them in English, one possible reason could be that
your browser's interface language is set to English.

The main (global) FDC banner has been translated into over 70
languages, and the general community review page that it points to is
available in over 10 languages:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/FDC_portal/Proposals/Community/Review
.

Comments on the funding requests can be made in languages other than
English, too. As for the funding requests themselves, yes, they are in
English. I guess it would be too much of a burden for the either
fund-seeking organizations or volunteer translators to provide the
entire proposal form in several languages. But one idea for the future
might be to make at least the shorter "overview" section of each
request translatable (e.g.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/Proposals/2013-2014_round1/Wikimedia_Nederland/Proposal_form#Overview_of_grant_request
).

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)