[Wikimedia-l] Overloaded with CentralNotices (Tilman Bayer)

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 31 01:26:40 UTC 2013

Just quickly while I walk down the street: I don't think the goal is
necessarily to get input from chapters members -- as you say, the best
avenue for those people to give input on chapter plans is probably simply
to be involved in the chapter's internal planning processes.

I think the purpose of the notices is probably equally/more to encourage
non-chapters members to express their views, if they have them. The
majority of Wikimedia participants (editors, admins, vandal fighters,
whatever) are not chapters members, and many, perhaps even most, don't live
in a geography where it's possible for them to join a chapter even if they
wanted to. As we've said before, the money given to support the Wikimedia
movement is the result of all volunteers' contributions, and so it makes
sense for everyone to be invited to give input on how it's spent. And, the
FDC has noted that it would like more involvement from all participants in
the movement in expressing their views on that.

In saying this, I don't mean to express a position on the notices themself.
They may indeed not be the best way to encourage input. And I totally
sympathize with editors who may not want to spend their spare time wading
through budgets etc. -- it's totally reasonable that they might not find it
fun :-) All I'm saying here is that efforts to encourage everyone to
express whatever their views are, to the extent they have them, are
consistent with the FDC's desire to hear from a wide range of people, which
I think is appropriate and good.

Thanks,
Sue