[Wikimedia-l] New access to non-public information policy, re-ID requirements and data retention

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 14:00:25 UTC 2013

As for I, I have totally given up with the idea of preservation of
confidential data when the US are somehow involved (if the NSA is
already involved in recording German president phone conversations or
French diplomatic department communications, who are we to hope that our
every steps can be private anyway ?).

My trust in WMF ability to provide security to our private information
also dramatically dropped with the password leak a couple of months ago.

So what are the risks left ? I see mostly three main ones

1) that a digital version of my passport get in the hands of scammers.
We know some of the risks associated to this, one of which being
identity theft. Collection of a bunch of private data (name, email,
phone number, postal address...) is one thing. Preservation of official
identity paper is another.
I think that's a non-acceptable risk.

2) that WMF disclose private information about us (OTRS member for
example) volunteers to other volunteers, who may not even be identified
in the least (as in "arbitration committee members").
Main risk associated imho would go from mild online bullying to severe
irl mishandling. I have very acute memory of this sick person sending me
emails threatening my life and the life of my own kids when I was Chair
of WMF. I was happy he was in the USA and me in France. I was not happy
he knew of my postal address. And I was scared when I met him at the WMF
doors irl.
Disclosing private information about us to a lawyer or a policeman is
one thing. Disclosing private information about us to an "unknown"
wikimedia member not bound by similar rules related to private data is
unacceptable.

3) last, that WMF disclose private information about us without having
the obligation to inform us it did so.
The draft proposes that The Wikimedia Foundation will not share
submitted materials with third parties, unless such disclosure is (A)
permitted by a non-disclosure agreement approved by the Wikimedia
Foundation’s legal department; (B) required by law; (C) needed to
protect against immediate threat to life or limb; or (D) needed to
protect the rights, property, or safety of the Wikimedia Foundation, its
employees, or contractors.
This is vague enough that it may happen that our private data is
disclosed to about whoever (who will access our private data thanks to
this "permitted by a non-disclosure agreement approved by the Wikimedia
Foundation’s legal department" ???), possibly without us knowing.
Consequences may be various (being citing in a legal case without even
knowning; having personal information disclosed to spammers or scammers;
being sued by an "unhappy customer" after we failed to fix his case on
otrs etc.)
A good part of benefit of this agreement would be that covered person
better feel accountable.
I think a fitting balance would be that WMF agree to mandatorily inform
ANY covered person WHEN and to WHOM his/her information has been disclosed.

Florence