[Wikimedia-l] letter from the FDC to the WMF

Ziko van Dijk vandijk at wmnederland.nl
Wed Oct 23 17:31:49 UTC 2013

Dear Dariusz, thank you for your interesting answer, I learned a lot from
it.

I can imagine that some things will look different when the movement is a
little older, with more former board members who would like to serve in the
FDC.

Kind regards
Ziko

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2013 schrieb Dariusz Jemielniak :

> hi Theo,
>

> Actually, no. The board and WMF both have a legal existence and basis. FDC
> > as a committee, albeit a board mandated one sits on the same or equal
> > footing as Langcom or Comcom, slightly above OMGcom, as far as I'm
> > concerned. It has little to no real world existence. Second, the WMF
> board
> > members are volunteers as well, quite like you. Unlike the FDC however,
> the
> > WMF board has several elected members and has gone through quite a few
> > iterations and external scrutiny.
> >

> You seem to live a false assumption that the FDC does not have elected
> members at all. It does, and their proportion is going to grow in the
> incoming years. But I don't think it matters, anyway - what is more
> important, is the role of the FDC. It is not a decisive body, but an
> advisory one. In all major financial decisions it is good to have a chain
> of decision process, just to avoid groupthink. Moreover, it is quite a lot
> of work, the Board would unlikely be able to tackle on their own, with all
> other responsibilities.
>

> >   I strongly believe that none of the FDC members is driven by an
> >> urge to please anyone (WMF, the Board, the chapters).
> >

> > I quite believe the opposite might be true.
> >

> Basing on?... So far in two rounds we have made some recommendations, which
> we had every right to assume that would not have been the most popular ones
> under the sun.
>

> > So a direct path of conflict with the board. One can assume you'd expect
> > the community to side against the board on some or any occasion and
> > hilarity will ensue. '
> >

> If you're saying that the FDC may disagree with the Board and vice-versa,
> that's 100% true. I'm not sure if I would call this a conflict. Drawing
> different conclusions from the same data is not unprecedented in financial
> evaluations. The only thing the FDC and the Board will definitely want to
> avoid (each on their own shift) is to make mistakes. It is actually quite
> good, in my opinion, that there are two stages in this process:
> recommendation and an actual decision. If the Board disagrees with the FDC
> and makes a better, different decision, I think it would be a success of
> this model, rather than its failure.
>
> All in all the Board is accountable to the movement and has actual,
> fiduciary responsibility. Again, you perceive it as a flaw that an advisory
> committee makes recommendations, although is not empowered to enforce them.
> I respect this view, but such an organizational structure solution is quite
> common and your critique applies to the whole concept of advisory
> committees.
>
> I have one. Resign. Half the of current FDC should resign and open up the
> > other half to some participation from the larger community - be it
> through
> > an open election, arbcomm seat, board seats, then you'd need to add Jimmy
> [...]

Dr. Ziko van Dijk
voorzitter / president Wikimedia Nederland

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht
http://wikimedia.nl