[Wikimedia-l] Carbon footprints on Wikipedia.

Geoff Beacon geoffbeacon at sent.com
Tue Oct 8 19:49:50 UTC 2013

An authoritative and easy to used resource giving of the effect or our everyday activities is essential if voters are to know enough to influence politics.

I cant find any entries on Wikipedia to match this. To some extent I blame Wikipedia's over emphasis on peer review and official sources. The [Carbon footprint] entry is probably counter-productive as it implies that the quoted sources are more reliable than they are. I fear some of these sources are incorrect, hide their proprietary information or are influenced by politics (i.e. government departments).

What I would like to see are lots of entries on Wikipedia like:

[the carbon footprint of beef]
[the carbon footprint of air travel]
[the carbon footprint of a new house]

& etc.

Wikipedia is the right place for such information to be presented.

See more of my criticism here: http://www.brusselsblog.co.uk/is-wikipedia-too-credentialist/

Geoff Beacon

P.S. I do make a modest monthly contribution to the Wikimedia foundation.

--
  Geoff Beacon
  geoffbeacon at sent.com