[Wikimedia-l] Which Wikipedias have had large scale bot creation of articles this year?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Nov 28 14:02:22 UTC 2013

On 11/27/13 2:01 PM, Fæ wrote:
> As well as finding out where this has happened, it would be good to
> have some cases of where "bots went bad" explained. My main concern
> would be leaving a bot to create thousands of articles but in the
> process creating a headache for limited numbers of maintainers, such
> as article copy-editors, categorizers, illustrators, inter-linkers or
> gnomic contributors.

One example I recently ran across, while using the georeference data
from Wikipedia World, is that bot-imports of villages on the Hindi
Wikipedia appear to be creating *thousands* of articles with identical
coordinates. There are about 1300 articles georeferenced to the
coordinates (25.611, 85.144), for example. I'm not sure if this is an
error (default value left in a template?), or has some other
explanation. I could imagine it also being a deliberate imprecision, for
example using the coordinate for the center of a district for villages
where the precise coordinate of the village itself isn't known. In any
case, it produces a bit of a mess; these could all be fixed up pretty
easily by volunteers checking on OpenStreetMap and the like, but nobody
has done so, because there are so many of these stubs.

This particular example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:hi.wikipedia.org+25.611,+85.144

-Mark