[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Conference - Come to Berlin in April 2014!

Pavel Richter pavel.richter at wikimedia.de
Thu Nov 28 10:19:10 UTC 2013

tl;dr:

Wikimedia Conference 2014 in Berlin

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2014

Venue: Tagesspiegel Tagungszentrum, near Potsdamer Platz

Date: April 10-13, 2014

Registration: Will open in January

Dear Wikimedia friends,

It is my pleasure to invite you to come to Berlin for the 2014 Wikimedia
Conference.[1] We will be hosting the event from April 10-13 at
Tagesspiegel Tagungszentrum, in the heart of Berlin.

In addition, I am delighted that the Funds Dissemination Committee and the
Affiliations Committee will hold their annual meetings as part of the
conference as well. This will give us all the opportunity to talk, discuss
ideas, exchange experience, build capacities and shape the future of our
movement together. I am extending this invitation also to the board and
staff of the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope that they again choose to
join us for a couple of productive days.

== Themes and program ==

The program team [2] has already kicked-off its planning process and is now
collecting topics and themes from all movement entities. Team members come
from several entities and countries in the movement, including the
Wikimedia Foundation, and generously volunteered to manage this process
together. They will present the major themes and goals for the conference
within the coming weeks.

The team is supported by Anna Lena Schiller, who is facilitating the whole
process in the months before and after the conference. Nicole Ebber, as
head of WMDE’s International Affairs unit, is a member of the program team
and will also liaise between the team, the event management and the
facilitator.

== Participation and registration ==

Based on the conference themes, the program team will make a recommendation
regarding the number and type (board, staff) of representatives per
affiliation. This includes a consultation with the AffCom to come up with a
decision upon inviting Thematic Organizations, User Groups and
affiliations-to-be.

We will open the registration in January, after the program team has
presented the conference

themes and goals. By following this order, we aim to motivate and consult
the participating organizations to send representatives and experts
according to the conference’s themes.

== Travel, accommodation and supply ==

We are delighted that the Wikimedia Foundation has agreed to cover the
general costs of the event.

Several organizations have included the travel and accommodation costs in
their FDC proposals, project and events or other WMF grants and are
responsible for covering these costs and booking their flights/trains
themselves. For all those who have not budgeted for the conference, travel
grants are offered and can be applied for in the registration process.
Their bookings will be handled by the WMF travel coordinator.

Following the same principle, we will offer standard 4-bed-rooms in a
hostel for everyone. Hotel beds will be available, but please not that the
travel grants only allow for the hostel accommodation. We will block a
range of beds in nearby hotels for that purpose.

Free food will be provided on all conference days at the venue, and
Wikimedia Deutschland will host a light dinner at the new WMDE office every
evening, plus a social program on Friday and Saturday.

Our event manager Wenke Storn will be the main contact for all questions
regarding the logistics, you can reach out to her and her team via
wmcon at wikimedia.de <wmcon at lists.wikimedia.de>.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Deutschland board, I am looking forward to
welcoming you in Berlin in April!

Best regards,

Pavel Richter

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2014