[Wikimedia-l] XOWA has released a complete copy of 2013-11-04 English Wikipedia with images -- Help wanted!

gnosygnu gnosygnu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 00:06:17 UTC 2013

Thanks for giving it a try!

> particularly for someone not very technically oriented, enough to take the time to set up my own wiki

I think the issue with English Wikipedia is that you can be very
technically oriented, and it would still be very difficult to set up
the wiki (especially with images). Also, XOWA has a nice benefit of
running from any machine with an SD card (whereas you'd have to
install apache, php, mysql on the machine)

> I'm now undertaking the much larger en.wp dump

I just updated the instructions at
http://xowa.sourceforge.net/setup_enwiki.html. There's now an option
to download the wiki (by torrent) in addition to importing it.

Thanks again!