[Wikimedia-l] Fundraising mysteries

Matthew Walker mwalker at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 25 22:41:49 UTC 2013

I have no information on what did or did not happen on any specific days --
but I can say that the data on frdata.wikimedia.org is unfiltered -- e.g.
it includes major gifts donations as well as online fundraising efforts.

We used to filter out everyone above 10,000 $ USD, but I neglected to add
the same filter for this data -- mostly because that really wasn't really a
good filter. There are better ways to filter; but the best one I can think
of off the top of my head I don't have bandwidth at this moment to
implement. In and of itself not an issue, just an FYI, but I would also
have to generate this and a filtered file because the filtered file would
only be good for online fundraising which does not reveal the whole truth
about how the WMF fundraises.

~Matt Walker
Wikimedia Foundation
Fundraising Technology Team