[Wikimedia-l] Beta Features Launch Worldwide

Fabrice Florin fflorin at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 23 00:01:51 UTC 2013

Hi Liam,

Thanks so much for your good feedback about Beta Features. (1)

I am glad you view this program as a positive development and think this tool can give users more control over their experience, as well as encourage more reasoned conversations during feature development, while reducing the stress for everyone. So like you, we're very hopeful about the potential of this tool for enabling more effective collaborations between foundation and community members.

Already, we're getting invaluable feedback on discussion pages like this one for Media Viewer (2). On that note, a newer version of Media Viewer is now ready for testing on MediaWiki.org, which displays larger images for a more immersive experience, as shown on this demo page (3). This new version will automatically be deployed on English Wikipedia's Beta Features section in early December, but we would love to get early feedback, if anyone is interested. To learn more, check out this overview of that new Media Viewer version. (4)

Last but not least, kudos to all the folks who contributed to this skunkworks program, across many different teams: Jared Zimmerman, Mark Holmquist, James Forrester, Jon Robson,May Galloway, Keegan Peterzell, and Erik Moeller, to name but a few :) While no particular team had a mandate to start this program, we all felt it was the right thing to do -- and just got it done. Sometimes the best projects come from these kinds of serendipitous collaborations. :)

Onward!

Fabrice

(1) About Beta Features:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/About_Beta_Features