[Wikimedia-l] input.wikimedia.org?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 22 09:07:10 UTC 2013

I should also note that input.mozilla.org inspired MoodBar/the
Feedback Dashboard extension (we actually met with the PM of the
project several times before kicking off work on MoodBar/Feedback
Dashboard), which can be used to collect feedback from users. We used
it for collecting new user feedback on enwiki for some time, as well
as enabling experienced users to respond to such feedback. You can
still see it in use on nlwiki:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciaal:DashboardTerugkoppeling

We disabled it on enwiki not because we think it's a bad idea, but
because we'd ultimately like to integrate such micro-feedback
functionality more cleanly with Flow [1] & improvements to the
onboarding experience [2]. The "instant response" features in
particular are difficult to integrate with talk pages in a way that's
intuitive for new users, because talk pages suck for new users.

I realize you're asking for a general feedback mechanism for editors,
and I too suspect that Flow will be the right foundation on which such
mechanisms should be built. While I think input.mozilla.org itself is
pretty sound, in the long run, we benefit more from tools that are
well-integrated with the Wikimedia user experience.

Erik

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow_Portal
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Onboarding_new_Wikipedians

--