[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Nov 20 16:59:32 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 8:31 AM, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 07:13 AM, The Cunctator wrote:
>> Yes, let's keep on pushing for policies that drive away editors!
> Let's be clear here: contributions that are copyright violations are not
> desirable to begin with.  If someone is driven away because they cannot
> cut and paste from random websites anymore, I'm not sure that this could
> reasonably be taken to be a bad thing.
Not that I encourage us to be permissive about copyright infringement,
but there are two potential aspects here. You've touched on the first,
which is contributors who do the copying - if they are willing to
change, that's fine, although I'm skeptical about the value of editors
who "don't know any better" and certainly repeat offenders should be
highly unwelcome. But the second aspect is the loss of tasks other
editors may be able to participate in, if there's potential for
overautomation of the review process and corresponding loss of human
judgment (What needs to be removed and what could be fixed just by
citing the source? How thorough a rewrite is necessary to avoid
plagiarizing source text?). An essential part of collaboration is, after
all, reviewing each other's work. From the terseness of the comment, it
might be alluding to either aspect or both.

--Michael Snow