[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Anthony Cole ahcoleecu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 14:04:18 UTC 2013

The problem of false positives from mirrors doesn't exist if we scan edits
as they are made.

Maggie says here<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Emergency_block_of_an_editor_with_which_I_have_been_previously_involved>that
copyright bots populate
WP:SCV <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SCV> So a
similarly-configured bot could scan recent changes and tag suspected
copyvios in watchlists and page histories like suspected vandalism is
currently tagged. Ideally the edit summary would contain a url to the
suspected source. Maggie points out that those copyright bots were blocked
for a while (from scanning Google I presume) due to a negative impact on
Google, and this problem was solved by someone writing a cheque.

False positives won't be a problem, unless they're more than, say, 50%. If
a recent changes patroller can't confirm the copyvio, they can let it go.
But an editor whose "contributions" list is peppered with such warnings
would stand out like a sore thumb.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SCV>

Anthony Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthonyhcole>
Memberships secretary